Minnesota Assault Lawyer
Assault accusations can come in a number of different circumstances. You may find that you are facing an assault accusation if you have gotten into a fight with your spouse, if you have had an argument with a friend, if you have participated in a scuffle at a bar or if you have been accused of intentionally harming or threatening to harm another person. Even if you were acting in self-defense or if the accused is stretching the truth, you could still be in trouble with the law and need a Minneapolis assault attorney to represent you.
The two main types of assault & battery are:
Assault convictions can mean prison time. Even the least serious assault accusation can lead to prison time. However, even an assault arrest can cause serious problems to your personal and professional life as you may be looking at a restraining order or Order for Protection in the cases of domestic assault. What this means is that you will be unable to contact the alleged victim in any way and can disrupt your home life immensely. Assault is one of the arrests that can make you feel like you are guilty until proven innocent rather than the other way around. Kirk Anderson and his team will work to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you are treated with the respect you deserve during this difficult time.
Assault Degrees and Penalties
The state of Minnesota has extremely harsh penalties in place for assault convictions. The severity of your punishment will depend on the degree of your crime.
- First Degree Assault – up to 20 years in prison and $30,000 in fines
- Second Degree Assault – up to 10 years and fines of $20,000
- Third Degree Assault – up to 5 years and fines reaching up to $10,000
- Fourth Degree Assault – up to one year in jail and $3,000 in fines
- Fifth Degree Assault – up to 90 days in jail
The degree of your assault accusation will depend on a number of things including:
- Whether great bodily harm or substantial harm occurred
- The age of the victim
- Whether there was a weapon involved
- Whether the assault was caused due to racial, religious, disability or sexual discrimination
- Whether the victim was a member of the police force, firefighter, corrections officer, school official or EMT
Assault and Battery Lawyer Minneapolis
The good thing about an assault accusation is that there are plenty of different ways to defend against it. Even if you feel like the world is against you and you don’t stand a chance, this is actually not the case. Many assault accusations are filed out of anger, spite or even envy and the courts can see through these motivations.
Kirk Anderson has several years of experience handling tough assault cases. Don’t let this criminal accusation cost you your life. Call the Anderson Law Firm 24/7 at 952-582-2904 for your free consultation with a Minnesota assault lawyer.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please contact attorney Kirk Anderson for an initial consultation.