A DUI arrest can have a big impact on your life. One of the biggest impacts can be a financial one. DUI arrests come with fines, court fees, and increased insurance premiums. A lot of people try to limit the expense of their arrest by representing themselves in court instead of hiring an experienced Minneapolis DWI lawyer. The truth is hiring a lawyer can actually help you save money in the long run. That’s because the cost of a DWI conviction will be much more expensive than a lawyer’s fees.
How the Costs of a DUI Charge Add Up
Following a DWI arrest, you’ll have a lot of questions. One of the first things many people ask, though, is “How much is this going to cost me?” In Minnesota, a first time DUI offense carries a fine of up to $1,000. That’s a significant amount of money and repeat offenses cost even more; in some cases, up to $10,000. Unfortunately, the financial penalties don’t end there. There many other costs associated with a DUI charge that can quickly drive the total bill up:
- Jail time. First-time offenses come with up to 90 days of jail time. The stay might be free but the repercussions of this jail time won’t be. Many people end up losing their jobs due to their time in jail, meaning you’ve lost your income. Additionally, depending on your current employment, you may find that a DUI charge on your record prevents you from returning to your job.
- Suspended license. The judge can suspend your driver’s license up to 90 days for a first time DWI offense. If you depend on your vehicle to get around, as most Minnesota residents do, this can become a major expense. The cost of bus tickets, cab fares, and Uber drivers can add up fast.
- Classes and counseling fees. Many judges sentence first-time offenders to courses to learn about the impact and dangers of drunk driving. These classes aren’t free. You’ll end up paying a fee for every class that you have to attend. Missing them or failing to complete a course could result in more fines or jail time.
- Increased insurance costs. You cannot ignore the long-term impact of a DWI charge. Having a DWI charge on your record means that your insurance company may raise your monthly premium or drop your policy altogether. Getting insurance in the future will be more costly, too.
Adding it all up, you could be facing up to $10,000 in fines, fees, and lost income even for a first-time offense. Repeat offenders are going to face even bigger fees.
How Paying for a DUI Lawyer Could Help You Save
An experienced DWI lawyer can help reduce the costs associated with DWI charges by:
- Getting the penalties associated with the charge reduced. An experienced DWI lawyer understands how to work within the system to present your case in the best possible light. That results in reduced penalties such as lower fines or less jail time.
- Having the charges dismissed altogether. DWI lawyers know that the burden of evidence is on the State. They can claim that you were under the influence but they may not have enough evidence to prove it. Incorrectly administered breathalyzer tests or a lack of probable cause for the stop are two common reasons these cases get defeated in court. Your attorney can help you determine the best defense and build an effective case on your behalf.
Let Our Team Help Reduce the Impact of a DUI Charge
Ultimately, it’s more expensive to assume you can’t afford a lawyer for your DWI case. A good lawyer can guide you through a difficult situation and help ensure you get the best possible result for your case, and that’s worth every penny. Start with a free legal consultation with our Minneapolis team to learn more about our reasonable fees and how we can help you with your case. Call us at (952)582-2904 or contact us through our website to schedule your free consultation with the Anderson Law Firm today.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please contact attorney Kirk Anderson for an initial consultation.