Minnesota Methamphetamine Lawyer
Methamphetamine is one of the most addictive drugs on the market and carries a lot of negative stigma. If you are caught with methamphetamine, whether for possession or distribution, you have a lot of loose. The drug courts in Minnesota are incredibly strict when it comes to drug crime convictions and you could be looking at several years behind bars. Being convicted of a drug crime such as methamphetamine possession can leave you struggling to find your place back in society, even after you have served your time.
This is why it is so critical to gain legal advice as soon as you have been arrested or as soon as you believe you are part of an investigation. There are strict rules in place to protect your legal rights and any evidence taken off you in an unlawful way will not be used against you. Working with an experienced Minneapolis drug crime attorney can ensure the best outcome possible.
Methamphetamine Drug Charges
If you have been arrested for drug crime possession, even if it is just a small personal amount, you will be facing felony charges. Meth possession comes with the following penalties and fines:
- 5th Degree – Possession: possession of less than 3 grams – up to five years in prison and $10,000 in fines
- 3rd Degree – Sale: sale of any amount of up to 3 grams – up to twenty years in prison and $250,000 in fines
- 3rd Degree – Possession: possession of 3 grams to 5.9 grams – up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines
- 2nd Degree Sale – sale of 3 grams to 5.9 grams – up to 25 years in prison and $500,000 in fines
- 2nd Degree – Possession: possession of 6 grams to 24.9 grams – up to 25 years in prison and $500,000 in fines
- 1st Degree – Sale: sale of 10 grams or more – up to 30 years in prison and $1,000,000 in fines
- 1st Degree – Possession: possessing 25 grams or more – up to 30 years in prison and $1,000,000 in fines
Meth Addiction and Arrests
If you face an addiction then there are alternatives to prison. It may be in your best interest to ask for a plea bargain and go through a drug rehabilitation program which can help you overcome the addiction and reduce your sentence. However, every case is different and having an attorney look at the specifics around your arrest can ensure you are taking the right path to your freedom and for your future.
How your case is tackled will depend on a number of factors including:
- Who is representing you
- Who is the judge or jury overseeing the case
- The reason for the possession
- Whether trafficking or distribution was involved
- Your previous criminal history
- The circumstances surrounding your case
Drug Crimes Attorney Minneapolis
Faced with any felony offense can be life changing. Meth drug convictions can impact the rest of your life and may make it harder to obtain a loan, find work and find housing even after you have served your time or paid your fine. It is critical that you take the right steps to minimize the damage.
Kirk Anderson can provide you with the aggressive and tenacious representation you need during this difficult time in your life. The Anderson Law Firm has helped countless clients when faced with trouble with the law. Don’t let this criminal accusation cost you your life. Call us 24/7 at 952-582-2904 for your free consultation with a Minnesota drug crime lawyer.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please contact attorney Kirk Anderson for an initial consultation.